One of the most difficult people to deal with is yourself. We always find ourselves hard to convince if whether to start doing things or not. Mostly, we end up with procrastination – the action of delaying or postponing something that needs to be done. And once we are so convinced to delay doing things, it starts the chaotic life out of our wrong decisions, ending up cramming with a frustrating product of work.
But why do we procrastinate? Here’s are some common reasons for procrastinating
- Lack of motivation
- Lack of interest
- Inability to make decisions
- Complexity of the task need to be done
- Depression, sadness and negativity
- Low energy levels
- General tiredness
- Lack of supporting tools for things to do
- Fear of both success and failure
- Lack of discipline
- Lack of skills
If you can identify why you are procrastinating right now it will be easier for you to kill them with using these tips:
- List the advantages of finishing things up. Post it anywhere you can easily see it and let it inspire you.
- Give yourself a treat after finishing the task that you have to. Perhaps, go shopping after, buy a new item for yourself, or treat yourself with food. Or something with no or less money involved. Treating yourself is not spoiling yourself.
- Always surround yourself with positive quotes to condition your mind of starting the job. This also helps you in times of despair or wary.
Set a deadline
- Set a date or time when you should start and finish your work. Making deadlines makes you more aware of the lost time you are having out of procrastination.
- Allot reasonable and achievable time frame for each task.
- Keep a clock or calendar near you to always keep you reminded.
Divide the burden
- Sometimes, looking at the big picture makes us feel already exhausted. Try to budget your job and work only one step at a time.
- Set a schedule of the step by step process until you meet the deadline.
- Take short breaks in between to not be beaten up and keep energized.
Set the working ambiance
- Your working place adds up to your working mood. If you got a messy table, it will just add more to procrastination. So better yet, clean it and make it conducive and attractive to work.
- Set up all the comforts of your working place to start up a working mood.
- Your body adapts moods from the things you hear. Mostly, hard workers rely on their playlists of good music. Ready songs that helps you pumped up for work. Include songs that relax you during downtime to boost yourself onto the next duty.
- Use color-coded scheme to organize your materials, references and output.
- Think that you can do all things. Remember that it will be easy once you start it.
- Always keep in mind that there is a fulfilment of every task done on time and with good quality.
- Wrongfully done project or assignment adds burden to next days. It causes delay of other tasks and the incoming responsibilities as well, minimal time to manage everything, more stress on your part and disappointments from your co-workers.
The key to a quality work is a work with a given time- starting and ending in a right and smooth phase. Success comes if you know how to kill procrastination. And it starts NOW.